Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Surgery Tomorrow

Well, tomorrow is the big day. When we first decided to do the hysterectomy, I wasn't nervous at all, just excited to get it over with. But the closer I get to surgery, the more nervous I become, because it is such a major surgery. Also, the doctor isn't quite sure what kind of incision he is going to have to make, and he won't know until he gets in there. We are hoping to do it laparoscopically, where he will make three smaller incisions, but there might be too much scar tissue from my two c-sections to do it that way. If that's the case, he will have to make a full abdominal incision, and the recovery will be just like a c-section. Yuck. I think not knowing exactly what is going to happen is making my anxiety worse. I am dreading sleeping in a hospital bed, getting woken up several times a night for vitals, pain, and not being with my family. But I am excited for no more bleeding, no more pain in the future, and a chance to get a nap! I would trade several weeks of discomfort for a lifetime of freedom any day of the week!

This might sound silly, but getting a hysterectomy is a little bit sad to me. My uterus has played a really important role in my life! My babies grew in there! And even though I have four kids, it's also a little sad that there is no way that I will ever be able to have any more babies. (Scott, don't have a heart attack!) We had made the decision that we were done after the twins, but really finalizing it is crazy. Bittersweet.

Anyway, I will update you all when I am home and coherent. I'm not sure how long I will be in the hospital; it depends on what happens with the incision. Pray that Scott doesn't go crazy alone here with all 4 kids!

Oh yes, I almost forgot. I pulled the best/worst April Fool's joke on Scott this morning. I called him "crying" and said that the hospital had called and cancelled my surgery because they got my pre-op bloodwork back and my pregnancy test was positive. I thought he was going to cry. When he finally figured it out, he said, "You have no idea how many emotions I just went through!" And then he called me some names. It was great.

10 comments:

Cari said...

Ha! What a great April Fools joke! I bet he was ready to kill you. Hope surgery goes well and recovery is speedy!

Arjun and Indira said...

Shelly, I am wishing you a speedy recovery! Your family is absolutely beautiful and just their love alone will be your biggest strength for you to get through ANYTHING that comes your way. I understand about the 'ending' feeling. I would feel the same even though I don't want anymore either. That is a funny joke. Classic. Good luck tomorrow and will look forward to your update.
Damiane'

Chelsea said...

ROTFL. that is awesome. i'll be thinking about you tomorrow and waiting for word. maybe you should teach scott how to post. GOOD LUCK & TAKE CARE!

Otter Family said...

Good luck tomorrow and you will be in our thoughts and prayers. Is Dr Falk still your OB/Gyn if so you are in very good hands!!! Take care and if you need anything please let us know.

The Gerard Family said...

Good Luck tomarrow and it sounds like you have made the right decision. Its gotta be hard knowing you are really done, but you have 4 beautiful children that God gave you. Just around the corner if you need anything.

Caryn said...

I have been thinking about you this last week, wierd since I haven't seen you in 10 years, but I am totally praying for a quick recovery and smooth surgery. I will check back for an update soon!

BTW, if I had pulled that April Fool's Day joke Rusty would have cut up my credit card... I love it!

Megan said...

GREAT April Fools joke!! Wish I could have seen his face!

Good luck with the surgery, hope it goes smoothly! I'll be thinkin' of you!

Lisa said...

Shewwy!!! All I have wanted to do ALL night is call your cell phone to check on you, but I don't want to drie you crazy. Mom said she talked to you and that you were in pain, but they were drugging you up (Lucky!! haha) Anyway, you better believe I am calling you tomorrow!!!

Mandy said...

That is such a funny April fools joke!! :-) Hope your surgery went o.k.

The Farnsworth Family said...

Good luck tomorrow!! I will be thinking about you. BTW you are naughty for pulling that joke! ha ha ha!