Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Update On Me

Sorry for the rant, but I have to get this out. I must also warn you that I am on a morphine pump, so please don't hold me accountable for any nonsense I might type.

Ugh. I do not like hospitals. I don't understand why 101 people have to come in your room 27 times each in the middle of the night. It makes it so much harder to start feeling better when you aren't getting any sleep. And why do they make you get up and walk around at 4:00am? They seriously can't wait 3 or 4 more hours?

Okay, I'm done. My surgeon, Dr. Hibner, had warned me that there was a pretty good risk of tearing my intestines or some other abdominal organs because I had so many adhesions that were making everything stick together in there, and they were going to have to "peel" all the organs apart from each other (gross, I know). Luckily, Dr. Hibner is amazing and there were no major complications. The surgery was done with a robot. Dr. Hibner sat at a control table and "performed" my surgery while sitting several feet away from me. Pretty cool. I have 5 (yes, 5) new incisions on my abdomen. He found a bunch of adhesions, and my bladder was completely fused to my cervix. He also found several ovarian cysts and a good amount of endometriosis. He was able to clean all of that up, and then he removed my cervix and ovaries. The surgery took almost 4 hours! With robotic surgery they have you laying at an angle where you head is much lower than your feet, so my face is nice and swollen from laying like that for 4 hours.

Everything is going well except for the fact that my oxygen levels keep dropping. No one is really sure why, but I'm not short of breath or anything like that so I'm not worried. Before I can go home I have to be up and walking around, eating solid food, be off the morphine pump and on oral pain meds, and obviously keeping my oxygen levels up. Sounds like a lot of work, but I'm going to try really hard to get it all done so that I can go home. Thank you for all of the emails, phone calls, texts, and comments on Facebook! I will let everyone know when I am getting out of this stinkin' hospital.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Glad to hear that everything went well. Hope you get to go home soon! :-)

Chelsea said...

geez. no wonder you were hurting. yea for surgery and more scars. ;) hope you're well-oxygenated soon!

Anonymous said...

Breath Shelley, Breath. : ) You will be home before you now it.

Hugs,

Erika'sMommy said...

Oh my goodness Shelley...I am thinking of you and sending you hugs!
Heidi