Monday, June 9, 2008

Twin Comments

We get a lot of attention when we go anywhere with the twins, and it just blows my mind the things that some people say. I have heard things as nice as "You must be the luckiest woman in the world" to "I would shoot myself in the head if I ever had twins". I used to just smile and walk away, but I am a bit more vocal about it now. When people say to me, "Better you than me", now I say, "It is better me than you with that attitude." And when people say, "I would never want twins", I say "God only gives twins to people who can handle it anyway." You might think that I am being rude, but it is very insulting to a mother of twins to hear things like that when we wouldn't trade having twins for anything in the world. I also get a lot of really dumb comments. The other day I was at a party and I had the twins with me, and a lady there said, "Are they both yours?" "Um, yeah." I said. Then she said, "Wow, they are really close in age! You guys sure didn't waste any time!" I said, "Yeah, they are pretty close in age. Like, 2 minutes."

7 comments:

Caryn said...

People can be so ignorant! My cousin (who has red hair and green eyes) adopted two little kids last year, about 6 months apart, but their ages ended up being days apart. One is a little blonde, blue eyed boy and one is a little Chinese girl-and people always ask if they are twins. She just says yes.

You kids ares super adorable and so lucky to have you as their mom!

Caryn said...

Oh and PS we missed you at the reunion!

Lisa said...

I am still laughing at that dumb lady!!!! Seriously?!? So hilarious. And I don't think you are being rude to say those things, I think it's rude for people to say that stuff to you!

Jaclyn said...

My friend has 10 month old twins and I have been there with her many times when she has recieved random comments about her twins. One lady asked "are they identical?" when one has a pink bow and the other a blue baseball cap. Crazy. She loves her twins!

Chelsea said...

ahahaha people can be so dumb. and good for you for speaking up! i used to be nice when people would make rude comments to me about my kids, pregnancy, or whatever. now, i figure they were the bitch first.

Arjun and Indira said...

It is unbelievable huh? Well you aren't rude THEY are. Keep up the good work by putting out the good word about twins.
Damiane'

Wooden's said...

you are my idol, i could have twins but it is only because of your awsome example and wisdom...:)